8fit helps millions of people around the world live a healthier life.
We help guide users along their path to fitness with personalized meal plans and workouts.
Every day we’re rewarded by the lives that we improve, and it keeps us motivated to work toward our vision of making the world a healthier and happier place.
Engineering at 8fit
We’re organised into cross-functional delivery teams with clear goals and lots of autonomy. We’re constantly looking to improve our tooling and working process. We believe working culture is not a list of platitudes. It's defined by the behaviours of the team.
That being said, here are a few of the ideas we feel strongly about:
Great communication — The ability to exchange ideas efficiently is an important part of your skillset.
Take ownership — Operate with autonomy, mastery, and purpose. Do your own research, talk with others on the team and don’t let anything stand between you and the results you want.
Venture outside your comfort zone — Ask questions. Be critical. Suggest ways of improving internal process. Be humble, admit mistakes readily, and never stop learning.
Bias towards action — Assume your first iteration will need improvement. The sooner you launch the sooner you can improve. Instead of speculating come back next week with real data.
As an Engineering Manager you will lead a team of amazing engineers to improve the developer experience for engineers at 8fit. You’ll challenge the status quo and push the boundaries to create and manage highly efficient autonomous teams, which continuously improve, resolve challenging engineering problems and deliver exceptional products and features. You will partner with engineering and business leaders across the company to establish the strategy of the company and ensure alignment between the engineering and business challenges and opportunities.
Key responsibilities include:
- Lead a highly productive cross-functional team of strong software engineers in implementing high quality products and features including design, development, and deployment of new business functionality.
- Overall responsibility for resource and project planning, continuously improving the processes within the team.
- Setting high engineering standards within the team.
- Setting challenging and ambitious goals for the team, aligned with the overall engineering and company goals.
- Interact with direct reports, customers and peers to share information and improve cross-team and inter-company processes.
- Strong ability to coach and mentor developers, helping them improve their skills and grow their careers.
- Encourage and support others to take on responsibility, authority, and accountability.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience.
- You’ll have several years of serving in an engineering management role.
- Demonstrate ability to run and improve technical development processes.
- You have good software engineering skills with competencies in data structures, algorithms, software design and OOP.
- Experience leading mobile teams is a plus.
What it’s like to work at 8fit
We endorse healthy life choices to millions of people and we stick to them ourselves, so “work/life balance” is core to how we do things. But don’t just take our word for it – you’re welcome to drop by and meet the team! We’ve got a lovely office in Friedrichshain, right on the river Spree. It’s quiet, bright, well-stocked with healthy snacks, and every Friday, we get together for a healthy lunch.
Other perks of being an 8fitter:
- Flexible office hours, to ensure you have plenty of time to enjoy life (and fit in a workout)
- Stock options, so you can share in 8fit’s success
- A health & wellness benefit, naturally
- Yearly company offsite to escape harsh Berlin winters
- Professional development grants to help you learn and grow
- Relocation benefits and visa assistance for non-EU citizens
Read more here: http://8fit.com/about/
Include in your application:
What have you done before? What are you interested in? What motivates you? Don’t send a generic cover letter. We’d rather hear your short intro in the summary section.
Link to online profiles github/twitter, etc